PLEASE VISIT OUR PARTNER WEBSITE www.thalassery.info FOR MORE TOURIST PLACES IN AND AROUND DHARMADAM.
Andalur Kavu' is situated in Dharmadam village. It is one of the very famous ‘kaavus’ in northern kerala. The deities in the temple are those of Sr Raman, Lakshmanan and Hanuman. This is a temple dedicated to SriRama as parts of the Ramayana such as SundaraKanda and Yudhakanda are reflected here. But then as Padmashiva is also worshiped alongside SrRama, one cannot say that this is a Srirama Temple. Once the festival starts at the temple of Kumba 1, all residents of Dharmadam become vegetarians for a week, old people lead commuity life. People greet vistors with puffed rice (Aval) malar and bananas. The God SriRama's deity is built facing the Cheraman Temple. During the rule of Cheraman Perumal the idol of SrRama went missing and was later found by the people from the Melur River says a legend. It was later installed in the temple. During the traditional dance here the grove below the temple is considered to be Lanka in the Ramayan. Bows and Leaf umbrellas are used to symbolise the Ramayana war during the possession.
Dharmadam Island is a small island full of coconut palms and green bushes extending to 5 acres, 100 meters away from the main land at Dharmadam. The island is a beautiful sight from the Beach. During low tide, one can just walk to the island from the beach. In 1998, Kerala Government took over this land for development of tourism. Many different varieties of trees are found here. Some of them are Nanj, Thaani, Cheru tree, Aamakazhuthu and Pullanzchi. Also beautiful reddish brown colour rocks are surrounded by this place. The only well in the island surprisingly contains water which is not salty. It is advised not to visit this place without proper guidance from the localites as the water will rise very fast athe time of high-tide.
Muzhappilangad beach is situated about 200 meters north of Dharmadam. There is a paved road winding through coconut groves, leading to the beach. The beach is about 5 k.m. long. A long clean beach its enchanting ambience invites you to swim, sunbathe or just lounge around. It is Kerala’s only drive-in beach, and one can drive the entire length. The Dharmadam island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes can be seen from this beach. Such a conjunction of beach and island is rare.
The Overbury's folly is located on a hill near Thalassery District Court and is adjacent to a park. It slopes down from the Sub-Collector's Bungalow to the rocks below and is named after its builder, E. N. Overbury, a Briton who served as a local judge at Thalassery in the 1870s. In 1879, Overbury wanted to construct a picnic spot at the cliff. He couldn't complete it, but the spot later earned the name "Overbury's Folly". The folly commands sweeping views of the Arabian Sea. Today, Overbury's Folly has been renovated and redecorated as a tourist attraction. It is frequented by local people in the evenings as a place to relax. A seaside open-air coffee shop has also been opened on the folly.
Thalassery Fort is 5 km away from Dharmadam. The British East India Company built the fort in 1708 to establish a stronghold on the Malabar Coast. In 1781 Hyder Ali, ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, was unsuccessful in capturing the Fort in his campaign to control Malabar. The square fort, with its massive walls, secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors, is an imposing structure. The fort was once the nucleus of Thalassery's development. It is now a historical monument.